A tradition of furniture-making has endured in North Yorkshire and traditional craft skills have been kept alive. Only a few miles to the east of Thirsk the Hambleton Hills can be seen rising to the North York Moors and the same view is framed by the windows of the Victorian maltings in which Treske has its factory and showrooms.
Treske continue to assess and refresh the range of furniture and designs on offer and have also updated the use of design technologies, such as CAD, to enable the quick and efficient turnaround of designs for customers. Treske have also addressed environmental and ecological issues relating to the responsible and sustainable sourcing of woods and use Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified timber.
The commissioning of leading British and international designers Dinah Casson, Vico Magistretti, Max Holba and David Colwell has added new pieces to Treske's ranges, bringing fresh ideas to staple items. Design pieces by the "regular Company" including the Red Dot winning Neva Light chair, Berlin based Michael Schneider with the Invito Table, and Salih Teskeredžić the internationally renown furniture designer, also compliment the Treske ranges of furniture.
Kitchen, living, dining and bedroom furniture are on display throughout the characterful building, alongside the factory's onsite workshop. Our showrooms provide a fantastic opportunity to view the ability and quality of our craftsmanship. if you would like to visit our workshops and showrooms, we would be delighted to welcome you to share in our story.
The building had multifarious uses from the 1920s until 1973 when John Gormley founded Treske and it became a furniture making factory, largely making domesitc furniture now called our Helmsley and Farmhouse range.
When Treske was founded, the first production designs were influenced by the Scandinavian furniture which was then popular. Continental design from the twenties with its emphasis on materials, cubic and rectilinear forms and functionality is evident in the furniture today as was the American Shaker style which affected the design of some Treske classics.
William Kelshaw Milnthorp built his maltings in about 1850 alongside the Great Northern Railway which had opened in 1841 a mile to the west of the town. The maltings was sold in 1895 and the last working owner was Fred Hudson.
The cast-iron pillars which supported the malting floors can still be seen in the building today, as can the high ceiling and tall windows in the room once used for the vats used to steep the malt, but which is now an airy furniture showroom. Sometimes, when boards are lifted, barley from the old days can be still be found underneath.
The quality of workmanship and the beauty of the wood is striking... finally seeing our furniture in position far exceeds our expectations: a truly superb job that is greatly appreciated.