Queen Elizabeth Grammar School in Wakefield moved to its present site in 1854. Major building developments needed a prestigious introduction in the form of a new main hall transformed from what was once a library into an impressive entrance, reception and multi-purpose space for meetings large and small.
Treske came up with an elegant, technically innovative, robust and easy to use solution which respects the listed status of the building. Large oak screens fixed to and hinged from the wall fold back flat and onto themselves when not in use. They can be quickly swung out and fixed to the floor in a large number of combinations to form discrete meeting rooms, open bays for use as waiting areas, or simply used to manage the direction of walk-through to exits to other areas of the school.
Specially made hinges carry the load of the 3.5 x 2.7 metre screens which have inner steel frames and are clad with oak panels. The recesses into which they fold back are surmounted by a narrow band of curved cornice detail in keeping with the style of nearby windows, doorways and arches. An internal glazed entrance porch gives on to the new reception and meeting area; Treske also made deep skirtings in matching oak and attractive radiator covers.
Architect John Exley was aware of the special commissions in wood undertaken by Treske which demonstrated an ability to design in sympathy with historic settings, fine craft skills in wood and specialist installation techniques.